Build a Catio!
Catios can be simple or elaborate; inexpensive or extreme. They have the common goal of keeping a cat safe while allowing outside time, but otherwise come in many different forms. Consider these design ideas then see below for a list of links to resources. We do not recommend any particular style or brand but hope to make it easier to keep Cats Safe at Home™!
1. Cat-only catios can be fairly inexpensive to build, can be small, and can be built in an otherwise unused space.
2. Cat and human shared catios can be transformed from an existing patio just by enclosing it with screen or wire or can be a new addition to your home. This option can also provide a great shaded, bug-free setting for people.
3. Construction can be pre-made kits or fencing, DIY, or built by a hired handyman or contractor.
4. Catio access can be through a window, door, or wall cut, and either direct or through a tunnel to another location (or add the tunnel just for fun!). You can also carry kitty to a free-standing feature.
5. Cool features are limited only by space, weather, safety concerns, and creativity! Consider ramps, cat trees, and boulders for climbing; driftwood and posts for scratching; cat-safe plants for shade and catnip for enjoyment; and fountains and perches for relaxation. Some designs incorporate a litterbox to reduce odors indoors. And of course, if space allows, lounge chairs for humans to relax with their favorite felines!
CATIO DESIGN MANUALS
C&D Pet Products Redwood and galvanized steel wire; starting at $439
Cats on Deck PVC pipe and steel mesh panels; starting at $500
Habitat Haven Powder-coated galvanized steel posts and mesh; starting at $800
Purrfect Fence Fenced enclosures installed free-standing or added to an existing fence; starting at $395
SunCATcher Enclosures Powder-coated wrought iron posts and metal mesh; starting at $1,200
Purrfect Cat Fencing Three styles including free-standing fencing, existing fence conversion system or portable enclosures; starting at $329
Cat Fence In Connects to existing fencing, also offer "tree guards"; starting at $70
TEMPORARY OR MOVEABLE ENCLOSURES
Drs Foster and Smith Fun Run Outdoor Tunnel Nylon mesh tunnel with spring steel frame; $23
Kittywalk Mesh enclosure kits; starting at $140
Purrfect Fence Free-standing and/or portable; starting at $99 (portable playpen)
Wild Whiskers Nylon mesh portable enclosures; starting at $80
BLOGS, ARTICLES and DIY DESCRIPTIONS
The Catio Tour Photo Album See photos of Catio Tour catios, others we love, and share yours!
Catio Designs Includes building instructions for 4 catio designs
Catio Showcase Photos of cool catios
Dog run inspired catio A personal description, with many photos, of a 4-year project
Jackson Galaxy User-submitted photos of their own catios
Low cost semi-permanent enclosure DIY how-to using almost no tools, custom, semi-permanent; typically starting around $200
The Ultimate Catio How-To Guide Includes many of the links above